This site is under development, some of the functionalities may not work properly.
in Administrative Law
Asked July 05, 2017

Change of name in Nikahnama

  • 1 Answer

I am a hindu girl married to a muslim boy in 1999 under muslim nikah , i have to get a marriage certificate , please guide me how to go about it . My name in nikahnama is mentioned as a muslim name whereas all my documents before and after marriage have my hindu name , pls help

Answer 1

Did you convert to Islam at the time of your nikah? If yes, then your Nikahnama is a conclusive proof of your changed identity. Otherwise, is order to get a marriage certificate with your Islamic specifications, you must get your name changed. To do this, you have to follow the following procedure:

  • Go to your local Notary and make an affidavit regarding change of your name. You have to mention therein your specific reason for changing your name. For example, you may like to change your name after marriage (especially for women), due to astrological or numerological reasons or anything.
  • Publish it in your local newspaper.
  • For getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state, for example: “The Delhi Gazette”, you need to do the following things:
  • Visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.
  • Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein)
  • If possible get the phone number, or the mobile number of the person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.
  • Verification

    You need to send the following documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport of your State:

  • Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your name.
  • The “Deed Changing Surname Form”
  • 2 True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.
  • Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.
  • A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette. (Generally Same as your Newspaper Statement)
  • A Copy of your current identity like your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates and etc.

    Documents involved in the whole process

  • Name Change Affidavit
  • Newspaper Publication
  • Name Change Deed
  • Request letter to the Secretariat
  • Name Change Statement
  • Reply Letter from the Secretariat
  • Publication Money Receipt.
  • Gazette Notification

    Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

    Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

    Directory ads
    Need to talk to a lawyer?

    Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.