Asked November 10, 2016

fake employment opportunity

  • 2 Answers

Sir/ Madam, I have paid an amount of 78000 to a company in Delhi (falls under Delhi jurisdiction)for providing me an overseas job support. I had an agreement also on March 2016. Till now they have not provided any support or calls . Whenever I say I am going to file a complaint, they send a mail telling please wait.... But they never pick my call also. In between they just copy some ads from some job sites and sent me to fool me. Sir can you please help me as I am from Bangalore and frequent visit to Delhi is not possible. How much do you charge for taking my this case. Thanks, 9886869551

Answers 2

You paid an amount against a written contract. If there is breach of terms of agreement, you can seek not only refund but also damages.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 4 years ago
  • Default avatar
    Thanks Sir, for the reply. How could I proceed in this. Could you please advice?
    Agree 0 Agrees about 4 years ago

Default avatar
Jayanth Ravi

What matters here is whether the company has been deficient or unable to provide the promised service. For this purpose you’ll have to take out the agreement/contract that you have with them and examine it in detail to understand whether they have failed to deliver or have provided deficient services. Details such as whether they promised that a correspondent contact would help you out in the country you were working in and whether you were provided one accordingly. If along similar lines you believe you have received deficient service after reading your agreement, you can have legal recourse by filing a consumer complaint. Since the complaint is of value of around Rs 80,000/- the complaint will have to be filed at the appropriate District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum. Sec. 11 of the Consumer Protection Act covers jurisdiction. As per the same, complaints will be filed in the District Forum’s in whose jurisdiction the opposite party lives, or the place where cause of action arose. Hence you cannot file a complaint in the Bangalore District Consumer Forum, unless any of the agreements were signed in Bangalore. My advice to you is to gather all available documents relevant to your agreement with the company and go through it yourself so that you can get in touch with a practising lawyer who can process your complaint in Delhi, and explain to him why you think that company has provided deficient service which entitles you to a redressal claim. In order to get in touch with lawyers registered with us you can put in the required details on References: The Consumer Protection Act, 1986

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.