This site is under development, some of the functionalities may not work properly.
in Criminal Law Family Law
Asked September 13, 2017

Father in law's threat for false complaint

  • 2 Answers

Dear sir, I am 24 year old boy and my wife is 24 year old. We married each other last December 25,2016. We did this on our own wishes. But girl's family is not happy with this as this is intercast marriage. We are both happily married. Now when we both decided to go to abroad for higher studies, his father called me and threatened me if I do so, he'll file a complaint against me and my wife that we are harrasing them. Please suggest me a proper way for this.

Answers 2

First, try to solve this issue with a talk with your Father in Law. If that does not work out, file a written letter to the SHO of the nearest Police Station stating the entire facts and also stating that your Father In Law threatened to file a complaint against you with the exact date, time and place. Do this to make sure you have a safety net in case your Father In Law decided to lodge a false complaint. 

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago


If you have abided by Section 5 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or by Section 4 of the Special Marriage Act, 1954, depending on the applicability of the required statute to your scenario, there cannot be any doubt as to the validity of your marriage. No one has the power to invalidate your marriage if the necessary provisions of the applicable statute have been abided by.

Again, since you are adults and if you are sponsoring your own educational expenses, then no one can detain you from fulfilling your ambitions. As both you and your wife are happily married and both of you have come to a decision by voluntary consent, your father-in-law’s allegation will not hold good.

You should report the entire incident to the police and let them know that you are being threatened by false complaints. Let the police investigate and if you are indeed innocent, there will be no harm caused to you.  

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.