This site is under development, some of the functionalities may not work properly.
in Criminal Law Family Law
Asked July 11, 2017

Forced to marry a girl

  • 3 Answers

 Last year September-2016 I got engaged . After so many familiar conversation between girl and me and their families, I realized that they are not at all suiting me, I said I will not marry. By hearing that all of sudden they started scolding me and warned me if I do not marry their daughter, she is going to be suicide and they will impose case against me by saying that i will never be released from jail. Now I am NRI since last year working in Oman country. So far there is no physical touch between her and me, only phone conversation has happened a lot. What I feel that by being scared of jail if I marry her it will definitely be hell to both of us. So far I never asked a single rupee (dowry) instead I sent 1.2 lakhs for gifts by sending money through online transaction because she asked me to provide. I want to have conversation with lawyer please somebody call my number (96894065098)

Answers 3

Hi Advocate Aditya Bhatt this side would like to speak verbally on this a 2 a conversation Contact: 9892924297

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago





Dear Sir/madam,

You do not need to worry, as the marriage is not yet complete. The law of the land prevents and punishes a person from backing out after marriage ceremonies are over and not before that. Enagagement does not find a legal obligation under law nor does it create a legal binding on both the parties. It just creates a moral obligation.

An engagement ceremony is nowhere documented by any of the parties + it does not find a place in the law books under any random provision of law.

At one point of time in future, you might be prepared for a police complaint or a court case against you for Cheating, dowry etc. But nothing of this sort can force you to get back with the girl and marry her. The abovementioned suits of cheating and dowry will need documentary evidence to prove their point.

However, you need to pay attention to the committing suicide comment seriously. For this, approach the nearest police station and drop an application asserting all your concerns and such and such blackmailing + background (in brief) and take a reciving from them on the second copy of the same application. The purpose of this application will be a formal Intimation – so that god forbids if any such mishappenings occur in future then you should be in a position to justify your stance and say that I should not be held responsible for such a mishappening because I took a step to inform the authorities to take action prior to any such unfortunate event. The probable offence in this regard which might pop up is Section 306 of the Indian Penal Code – Abating someone who is committing suicide.

Incase you are facing any difficulty pursuing the above advice or want any help in filing the case. Please follow the link below


Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago


Adv Shuchei Agarwal this side.

Got you Query and Tried your Contact number too, but unfortunately the Number was not reachable. You are right that once you have the feeling that you marry her it will definitely be hell to both of you, then dont ever do it.

The case can be sorted out very easily.

You can Contact Me on 92784 57822 / 91361 97992

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.