Yuvaraj Mani
Asked January 04, 2017

Inheritance and name change

  • 1 Answer

My father changed the name with out legal procedure 15 yrs before.Now that is no problem all proofs is in his new name.But my grandfather wrote a will for his old name. Now my father have a old vote id for his old name there is no other proofs in his old name.How to change property to my father name.

Answer 1

Name change in India becomes official only after 3 essential legal steps or procedures are fulfilled:

  • Affidavit with the notary and pro bono declaration
  • Newspaper publication; and
  • Gazette notification (compulsory for government servants).
  • Any person above 18 years of age can change their name once in India by following these steps without any errors. In this case, since your father did not follow these names it cannot be said that he has officially changed his name and hence your grandfather’s will is valid and enforceable without any doubt.

    Your father may follow these above mentioned steps to officially change his name and this would not affect old documents. Hence, even after officially changing his name in the future, the will would stand as being valid.

    Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

    Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

    Directory ads
    Need to talk to a lawyer?

    Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.