Legal formalities to open small website using wordpress
I am planning to open a small website using wordpress. Do I need to follow any legal procedure for the same? Just a small website where in people can read certain blogs and other content. And will be allowed to interact through live chat! Might consider using it for commercial purpose like paid advertising.
- You mandatorily need to have a VAT registration before you start an ecommerce website. The same can be obtained from your state’s Sale Tax Department.
- You should get the company/website registered at LLP, partnership or public or pvt. Company
- Always remember that your website should comply with the indian laws like Company’s act, Indian Penal Code, Copyright Act etc. The content in the website should not be defamatory or should not outrage the modesty of anyone, or should not contain any plagiarized work, for example.
- You must ensure that the web page is cyber law meticulous. Under the Information Technology Act 2000 (IT Act 2000) there are many “Due Diligence Requirements” that Banks, Internet Service Providers (ISPs), Search Engines, E-Commerce Portals, etc must fulfill.
- As your site is a content-based, then a content-based site needs to pay income tax on the revenues it makes out of advertising, but does not need to pay service tax. Until the Goods and Services Tax regime comes into force in India, service providers in many sectors will have to pay tax on the services rendered by them. You will have to naturally check whether your service is taxable or not.
- In certain states there are few specific taxes that you will have to pay, like Profession Tax in states like Karnataka.
- Do make sure that the name of your site n logo do not class with a trademark of an existing company. It is not a mandatory provision, but it is advisable to avoid future litigation.
Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.