This site is under development, some of the functionalities may not work properly.
Hridom Bose
in Property Law Family Law Civil Law
Asked August 10, 2017

Legal Issues on property sold without a family member who has been absconding for past 30 years

  • 3 Answers

Can a person ask for share in property who is deserted since 30 years as a family consisting of five brothers out of which one has left home 30 years back and never returned. Now an ancestral property was sold without the absconded brother. Kindly suggest me if any legal issues will arrive now? Thank you

Answers 3

Any member who has disappeared for long time nust be declared dead by the competent Court. If not done so, and he is not survived by any heirs, then he can surface and demand his share. No escape. But this litigation will stretch too long for him. 

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

Not likely , as there is a limitation of time is applicable here too; after 30  yrs absconding he will be treated dead like in IPC if a spose is not traceable for seven yrs or more he is t be treated as dead.



Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

S. 107 and S. 108 of The Indian Evidence Act, 1872 provide that a person may be declared dead if (s)he is unheard of for seven years. However, S. 108 is to be read with S. 107 and hence, even in case of a person missing for thrity years or more,the burden of proof lies upon the person affirming his death, in case of any dispute. Hence, it is advisable that the legal heirs of the missing person lodge an FIR as to his missing status and also appraoch the Civil Court for declaration of Civil Death of the said missing brother. Following these procedures would ensure that the transfer holds solid in case of any legal dispute in future.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.