This site is under development, some of the functionalities may not work properly.
Nandhakumar Manoharan
in Administrative Law Contracts Law Business Law
Asked August 05, 2017

Licence for sale of grocery

  • 2 Answers

Hi All, Greetings for the day..! As i would like to start a small grocery Business at my home town Coimbatore. should i required to apply for legal license to sell goods ?? Please help me. Thanks Nandha.

Answers 2

Yes, you need legal license to sell goods in Coimbatore. In fact you will need various licenses like (if you are planning to sell edible goods) license under Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2011.

You are also required to register your shop under The Tamil Nadu Shops and Establishments Act, 1947, you may follow these procedures for registering your shops:

You should submit an application in the prescribed format along with the prescribed fees to the inspector of your area within 30 days of start of your grocery shop.

The application should contain the following information:

  • Your name as the owner of the shop
  • The postal address of the establishment where you are planning to start your shop ;
  • The name of your shop;
  • Such other particulars as may be prescribed.

After this the inspector upon receiving your application along with prescribed fees shall verify and cross check the authenticity of your application and if he is satisfied with its validity he may issue a registration certificate in your name after entering the details and particulars of your shop in the register of establishment. The certificate will be valid for 5 years and after that it need to be renewed.

That was all you required for starting a grocery store. I believe you will manage it yourself, otherwise if you are planning to employ person in your shop then you will also need to get registered with Employees State Insurance Corporation, Provident Fund.  

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

This question has already been answered in Lawfarm:

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.