Asked December 24, 2016

maiden name in passport

  • 2 Answers

Sir my spouse got her passport after marriage so she have my name as maiden name but in her birth certificate and marriage certificate her father's name as maiden name . Will that be an issue in getting Belgium visa. Please help with the answers and please give the solutions to avoid any further issues

Answers 2

Sir, in recent times the passport offices and other departments granting visas such as embassies have become very stringent with procedure and thus the variation in name in your wife’s passport can prove to be of some problem.

To change one’s name on a birth certificate one must approach the municipal office for a form (which can be downloaded from the government website as well) which must be submitted along with the following:

 1) letter from parents attested by two gazette officers

2) old birth certificate

 3) letter from hospital where birth certificate is registered

4) id proofs such as ration card etc.

5) An affidavit on a 10 Rs. stamp paper.

For change in name in marriage certificate one must approach the Registrar of Marriages and submit affidavit requesting change of name. Old marriage certificate must be submitted along the affidavit. On change of name a paper advertisement must be given as proof. Please make sure that the name on the passport matches the new name on the birth and marriage certificate exactly to prevent further discrepancies.

It is hence advised that complete all changes and only then approach for visa as rejection may alter chances of reapplication, which is a tiresome process.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees almost 4 years ago

That will not be an issue. Once she get the passport along with your name as surname then hereafter that will only taken to consideration. In case , while getting the Visa if they raised such objection, you can file the notorized affidavit before them stating that the person name mentioned in the Passport and doucments is one and the same.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees almost 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.