This site is under development, some of the functionalities may not work properly.
Shubham Jain
Asked March 02, 2017

Title after second hand sale

  • 1 Answer

hi, I have purchased a second-hand motorbike from seller.I have the seller RC and sell letter.And now I want to have insurance for that bike so should I use my details or the owner's detail.

Answer 1

In order to insure the vehicle in your name, you have to ensure that the vehicle is registered in your name and the ownership is transferred to you.

Every state has certain requirements that has to be adhered to in order to transfer ownership. For example under the West Bengal Motor Vehicles Technical Owners’ Association, the following are the requirements for transfer of ownership:

  • Form 29 (2 copies with seller’s sign).
  • Form 30 (with signature of seller & purchaser & chassis print affixed on it).
  • Form T.C.A, TCR (for transport vehicle only).
  • Address proof.
  • Income tax declaration in form 60/PAN number (except 2 wheeler).
  • NOC (in case vehicle is purchased from other region / other RTO).
  • NOC from entry tax (in case vehicle arriving from out of state whose age is less than 30 months from the date of 1st registration.
  • NOC from financier if any.
  • All valid documents of vehicle.
  • Fee.


For more details, you can refer to the following sites:

Each district will have RTO(Regional Transport Office) where you can get the required documents to register the vehicle in your name. All registrations are done in accordance with Motor Vehicles Act 1988. Therefore the best way is to approach the local/district Transport office and get the vehicle registered in your name and then you get the insurance done in your name.  

Agree Comment 0 Agrees almost 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.