Subhir Kumar
Asked May 05, 2017

Transfer of account after death

  • 1 Answer

My mother posses Post Office FD (MIS) of amount Rs. 35,000 approx which matured in December 2016. She expired in Jan after the maturity but we have found one FD was lying in the name of her with single A/c but without Nomination. We request Postal officer who was in charge to encash in our favour of her sons. Our request was approved and they have asked to bring for the following : 1. Two people witness bearing Aadhar Card and Pan Number 2. Two People Surety bearing Public Servant Employee / Bank Employees 3. Surety witness bearing Aadhar Card and Pan Number 4. Notrary 5. Ideminity Bond We request then to consider 1, 4 & 5 above point but unfortunately we can not bring them Surety from above point No.2 Our repeated request were attempt to the Post Officers but in vain. Kindly we need your advice ... Thanking you

Answer 1

Transfer of account after death.

Yours is one of the most frequently asked questions to the Indian Postal Services Online Portal.

The claimant may be the nominee or legal heir. If there is nomination, the nominee can prefer the claim in the prescribed form along with death certificate. If there is no nomination, which is your case, any one of the legal heirs can prefer the claim in the prescribed form. You need to present the following documents at the post office:

  • Death certificate of the account holder, and
  • Consent statements of all legal heirs of the deceased.
  •  Claim up to one lakh can be settled. If the claim is exceeding one lakh, claims can be settled by legal evidence i.e., by probate of will or succession certificate. In case you are facing any problems from the official in-charge, the official website of India Post has support services like filing of the complaint and public grievance redressal. You can easily locate them on the website and consult directly with them.

    The link to these portals are as under:

    Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 3 years ago

    Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

    Directory ads
    Need to talk to a lawyer?

    Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.